Here's your weekly review on what happened at the intersection of NFTs and Sports:
- ⚽ FIFA Launches NFT Platform on Algorand
- 🏀 NBA, NBPA team up with Sorare for NFT Fantasy Sports
- 🏀 Warriors’ Co-Owner to Start Fantasy Sports-Style NFT Game
Let's have a closer look! 👀
⚽ FIFA Launches NFT Platform on Algorand
"With the 2022 World Cup just months away, FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, has announced it will launch an NFT platform for soccer-themed digital collectibles. The platform, FIFA+ Collect, is set to launch later this month, and will feature “affordable, inclusive, and accessible” NFTs that depict notable soccer moments, art, and imagery, according to FIFA. As the World Cup—set to take place in Qatar in late November—unfolds, moments from the marquee global soccer tournament may also be converted into digital collectibles. (...) The NFT platform will live on FIFA+, the organization’s platform for live soccer games, news, games, and original content."
🏀 NBA, NBPA team up with Sorare for NFT Fantasy Sports
"National Basketball Association (NBA), National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) and Sorare announced a multiyear partnership that makes Sorare the Official NFT Fantasy Partner of the NBA. Sorare will launch the first officially licensed, free-to-play digital collectible-based fantasy basketball game, which will be released this fall for the NBA’s 2022-23 season. The game will provide fans a new opportunity to interact with the league and compete through a unique fantasy gaming experience that offers users the ability to create a lineup of NFT-based digital collectibles representing their favorite players and teams to earn points based on the real-life performance of NBA players. As part of the partnership, Sorare will have the rights to utilize official NBA league and team logos across its products."
🏀 Warriors’ Co-Owner to Start Fantasy Sports-Style NFT Game
"Golden State Warriors basketball team co-owner, and online retailer Zappos’ founder, Nick Swinmurn, is entering the non-fungible token (NFT) game with Play Hellebore, a fantasy sports-style platform that lets users predict the outcome of professional sports games for blockchain-based prizes. Users start by purchasing a “Siber” NFT for 0.03 ETH (around $50), which grants them access to the site. From there they can form leagues and play head-to-head matchups to win “NFT prizes, merch and unique fan engagement experiences,” according to a press release."
🤓 Wrapping it up
So what have we learned in this week's issue?
- A rare in-house platform: Sorare keeps reeling in big leagues for the NFT Fantasy Sports platform. First it was the MLB, now it's the NBA on an impressive run in the North American market for the French company. But the bigger news of the week is most likely FIFA's first foray into the NFT market. And as usual they go with their very own approach by embedding the offering in their own platform FIFA+. Execution is done in partnership with Algorand, arguably their biggest project so far. We like FIFA's way as it keeps a lot of the power and leverage in house, something we don't witness too often in sports NFT land.
- NFT prediction games are still early. What looks like a potentially big thing in the future is currently only in the experimental stage, as the big guns of the industry are busy with other endeavours. That's why we enjoy seeing initiatives like Hellebore who connect NFTs, prediction games and blockchain based prizes. Highly interesting to watch.
And that's it for this weeks issue! And as always: Feel free to reach out for feedback and to discuss all things NFT and sports! To stay up to date: Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter for stats, drop announcements.