Here's your weekly review on what happened at the intersection of NFTs and Sports:
- ⚽ MLSPA creates blockchain game, MLS signs a Bored Ape
- 🏈 Dapper Labs and L.A. Rams announce partnership
- 🏌️ Swag Golf's launches Swag Skulls for access to products & experiences
Let's have a closer look! 👀
⚽ MLSPA creates blockchain game, MLS signs a Bored Ape
"The Major League Soccer Players Association (MLSPA) announced it has begun a partnership with Splinterlands, the worldwide leading blockchain gaming developer. This unique deal, starting with Genesis League Soccer (GLS), will see the two companies collaborate to incorporate MLSPA players into a new Web 3.0 opportunity. The MLSPA and Splinterlands will work together to create and develop a play-to-earn (P2E) blockchain soccer-based game, allowing MLSPA players to connect with their fans in new ways across both desktop and mobile devices."
A few days prior to this the "Major League Soccer in collaboration with ge3, a division of Get Engaged, announced that the League has signed Striker, a Bored Ape, to a professional contract. The deal marks the first digital athlete to sign with a professional sports organization."
🏈 Dapper Labs and L.A. Rams announce partnership
"Dapper Labs, the makers of NFL ALL DAY, and the Super Bowl LVI Champion Los Angeles Rams announced a partnership for the 2022 NFL Season. The announcement marks Dapper Labs' first season-long partnership with an NFL franchise.
The Rams become the first NFL franchise to partner with Dapper Labs on Team NFTs for the 2022 Season. Team NFTs are digital collectibles made in partnership with individual NFL Teams to give fans a chance to rep their favorite teams on NFL ALL DAY. Team NFTs will provide owners with unique perks within NFL ALL DAY, and represent a new way to be a fan in the digital landscape.
The first set of collectibles to release will feature limited-edition NFTs of the Rams Super Bowl LVI Rings. The limited-edition collection commemorating the historic victory will go on sale beginning at 10 AM PT on Thursday, August 11, 2022."
🏌️ Swag Golf's launches Swag Skulls for access to products & experiences
"Swag Golf, one of the world’s fastest growing premium, limited-edition golf accessory, equipment, and apparel company, is excited to announce the company’s launch of its first NFT project, Swag Skulls. Built on a custom-designed technology to ensure tangible value in both the digital and physical world, fans can now join the company’s Discord channel to stay up to date on launch details.
While many companies have entered the NFT space, Swag has taken its time to ensure the project provides tangible value both in the digital and physical aspect. Swag’s project is built on bespoke technology that allows customers to access products and experiences based on the attributes of a Swag Skull rather than merely being a Swag Skull holder."
🤓 Wrapping it up
So what have we learned in this week's issue?
- Collabs as a chance? The MLS' idea to connect themselves with an ape from the Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), one of THE most successful NFT collections, is an interesting one. They are making use of the IP rights that have been given to every single ape owner. This way the MLS does not have to set up an own collection, but can try to make use of the popularity an existing one. Of course this has to be played well, as it has to come across as an authentic connection. And as always: not everyone loves the success stories, so let's see how all of this will play out. It seems there's an activation planned around the upcoming MLS All Star game.
- Phygital NFTs has been a buzzword for quite a bit now. However, we especially appreciate Swag Golf's approach of connecting physical and digital benefits in their Swag Skull connection. In that specific case they are making use of the fact that they run a very successful product business, with items that are often highly sought after. Using the NFTs to give preferred access to them is a clever move in our opinion. Something for the (sports) ecommerce industry to look at.
And that's it for this weeks issue! And as always: Feel free to reach out for feedback and to discuss all things NFT and sports! To stay up to date: Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter for stats, drop announcements.