Here's your weekly review on what happened at the intersection of NFTs and Sports:
- ⚾ Topps releases 'Timeless Series' with iconic NFTs
- 🎫 OneOf launches 'Sports Pass' collection
- 📊 Monthly stats for NBA Top Shot, Sorare and Topps MLB
Let's have a closer look! 👀
⚾ Topps releases 'Timeless Series' with iconic NFTs
"Topps NFTs has announced the release of a 1-of-1 Topps 1952 Mickey Mantle Card NFT as a part of their new Topps Timeless NFT Series. Unlike other releases, this collection calls attention to the company’s most iconic baseball cards through premium 1-of-1 digital offerings. The NFT will be minted as an ERC-721 token and is a recreation of the classic Topps baseball card, complete with video of historical imagery and memorabilia that showcase and celebrate Mickey Mantle’s legacy. Additionally, the auction winner will be given the opportunity to participate in a 30-minute video interview with Danny and David Mantle, sons of Mickey Mantle."
🎫 OneOf launches 'Sports Pass' collection
"OneOf, the NFT platform known for its music marketplace is launching a series of one-of-one sports NFTs that grant holders exclusive perks. The company announced the launch of its “Sports Pass” collection on Thursday, a series of one-of-one 3D-rendered NFTs designed by animation studio 8th Frame that grant holders exclusive perks on OneOf’s new sports-themed NFT marketplace."
The OneOf 2022 Sports Pass is described as a "key to a world of exciting benefits and privileges such as early and exclusive access to sports NFT drops and some of the world’s most coveted sporting events. Each OneOf 2022 Sports Pass will be unique with its own 1:1 generative art and properties. For the duration of ownership, holders will enjoy exclusive benefits and privileges".
📊 Monthly stats for NBA Top Shot, Sorare and Topps MLB
Here's our monthly stats overview of the NFT marketplaces of the biggest sports leagues.
- Sorare keeps riding its growth journey, increasing sales, transactions and unique buyers in solid double digit numbers. Especially the 27% growth in unique users is really good to see, even though the total numbers are still comparably low to the overall market opportunity
- MLB Topps is falling back into old patterns of decreasing numbers, after finally having had a good month in January. Seems like the transition phase of MLB's collectibles to Candy Digital and other uncertainties in their roadmap don't help...
- NBA Top Shot keeps being volatile in numbers. After a strong start to the year, sales numbers went down significantly in Feb. However, unique buyers are increasing, which gives hope for the next months.
🤓 Wrapping it up
So what have we learned in this week's issue?
- Checking the archives is worth having a look. Topps Timeless shows an asset area that is often overlooked in the NFT space. It's not always about current player cards or highlight clips or upcoming events and successes. Instead the rich history of a sport is something that many fans assign value to. That includes historic athletes, games, venues and trophies but also the stories only hardcore fans know. In Topps' case they have turned an iconic physical asset (the Mantle player card) into an entirely new one, basically selling it again in a slightly different version (a 1/1 digital asset). This shows what is possible if you have the IP.
- Learning from successful non-sports collections might be a good idea. Let's put it this way: Compared to other industries the sports industry is not always a first mover when it comes to tech based innovation. This often leads to a situation in which some inspiration can be drawn from existing, successful approaches in other industries. And the NFT space seems to follow this pattern. What OneOf's SportsPass is doing is nothing else than using proven mechanisms from the leading NFT collections. In its core this means rewarding NFT holders for their loyalty and taking them onto a journey that constantly provides perks and benefits.
And that's it for this weeks issue! And as always: Feel free to reach out for feedback and to discuss all things NFT and sports! To stay up to date: Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter for stats, drop announcements and more.